Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Retro Pillow Challenge Begins!


Today marks the first day of the Retro Pillow Challenge (RPC)!  I am celebrating by adding a "quilted" background to my blog.  I just love the pretty fall colors!  I am totally pumped to make a quilted cover to hide one of my ratty sofa pillows.  My only obstacles are that I have never attempted the following:
  1. Quilting, by hand or otherwise
  2. Regular applique.  Yikes!  My forte has always been reverse applique.
  3. Patchwork.  Well, this t-shirt bag, but that was a headache!
The ratty pillow!
I will mostly likely be tearing my hair out, but I am going to attempt to do all 3 in one pillow.  I'm not sure how it will turn out, but anything will improve the look of my sofa!  The point here is to LEARN something NEW.  I'm really excited to see how my new skills will translate into my bag-making.  It will definitely be an adventure.


Before I blabber on any further, I should give you RPC virgins some back story.  This is the brainchild of fellow stitch-lover, Keren (sew la vie) and myself.   Keren and I met through BurdaStyle and eventually started emailing each other.  In the beginning, we wanted to do a project together that involved sharing/learning new sewing techniques.  This idea grew into the Retro Pillow Challenge that is starting TODAY!!!!

I recall Keren saying something like, "...because everybody loves retro, and everybody loves a challenge, right?..."  Simple ideas, but really poignant, don't you think?  Retro encompasses many decades of style inspiration, from the 40s to the 70s usually.  That is a vast pool to draw from, so you are bound to find some aspect that speaks to you.  As for the challenge part, that's a no-brainer.  Making and achieving goals is how we improve and feel better ourselves. 

We have 13 very talented participants:



Kadie of Seven Alive


Emily Fish of Domestic Deadline


Adrianne of Happy Hour Projects

Kate Walker of Kate's Curios

Lakshmi of Adithis Amma Sews

Amy Lauritsen of MoMomma


Plus, Keren and myself!

We have participants from all over the world!  That fact alone makes this challenge very exciting for me.  I mean, I've never even been east of the Mississippi, and here I am, meeting wonderful women from all over the planet!  I hope you'll take the time to visit their blogs and get to know them better.  I hope you'll visit our RPC homepage and grab a button to show your support. 

Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana!
P.S.  Could you please head on over to Creating my way to Success! and vote for my link?  It's number 3, Ruffles gone Wild!  Thanks so much!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you learning something new! Wanted to drop by and say Hi! I'm very impressed with your bags and your duck canvas scarf! Learned something new from you too! I like the trick for the double ruffles you showed on one of your bags. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, I'm excited! I just posted a photo in the picasa album of some fabric I scored today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know the total was up to 13!! That is great! I am excited to get going!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo, the challenge has started :)!!! I'm gonna go with a 60's orange and brown pallette, I'm with you in the whole no experience of quilting, applique bit but it wouldn't be a challenge if it was easy would it!!!
    Here's my first RPC post - http://katescurios.blogspot.com/2011/08/retro-pillow-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...