Monday, February 18, 2013

Fancy Feet Sewing Challenge: March 2013


March's challenge is all about those tricky sewing machine feet that sit in our sewing boxes and never get used.  Come on, you know you're guilty!  Every machine comes with a variety of feet, but few sewists do anything more than switch between the zig-zag and zipper feet.  Here's your chance!
[source]
Check out this Bad-boy!
A Ruffler Foot

[source]
This one has a lovely conch shell spiral!
Binder Foot
[source]
Looks like a FMQ foot, right?
Wrong!
Open Toe Darning Foot

Dr. Suess's Foot Book comes to mind while I'm writing this post.  My, what a lot of funny feet there are!


Hello and welcome to the Fancy Feet Sewing Challenge!  This sewing challenge is open to everyone whether you publish a blog or not.  This will be the 10th sewing challenge I've hosted.  The first 4 challenges were co-hosted with Keren from sew la vie!  Keren and I began these sewing events with the purpose of creating a collective learning experience for a group of kindred spirits.  We wanted the challenges to be about inspiration and improvement of sewing skills rather than a competition.  Those ideals hold true today.

You'll probably enjoy these challenges if you can answer yes to a few of these questions:

Does the theme of the challenge appeal to you?
Do you have a free afternoon (or 2) during the month of the challenge?
Do you want to improve your sewing skills or expand your sewing knowledge?
Would you like to connect with other participants from all over the world?
Are you more apt to finish a project if you have a deadline?



Please read the simple challenge guidelines:
  1. Choose a sewing machine foot that puts you out of your sewing comfort zone and learn how to use it.
  2. Complete a small project utilizing said foot.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot (ha!) by choosing a difficult, time-consuming project.  Your challenge won't be met if you can't complete it by the deadline.
  3. Photograph your project.  Bloggers submit their entry by writing a post about their experience.  Non-bloggers submit their entry by emailing me their photos and I'll post on their behalf.  
  4. A just for fun poll will be conducted concerning the finished projects.  Winners of the poll with receive bragging rights and fancy blog badges.



Here's the challenge timeline:
  • Now through March 31st.  All projects must be submitted.  That means bloggers will have posted and non-bloggers will have emailed me.
  • April 1-30th.  Just-for-fun poll takes place.
  • Mid April.  A new challenge for May will be announced.
  • The beginning of May.  Poll winners announced and bragging rights established.




Visit my FAQ page HERE.



Grab a button and spread the word!
Visit Fancy Feet Homepage



I like to make a Pinterest inspiration board for every challenge.
All the challenge participants can be added as contributors.  
It's an easy way to share links, techniques, and ideas.
March's challenge board:

Previous challenge pinboards:




  • Curved Seams Challenge
  • Ring You Neck Inspiration Motherboard!
  • Fab Folds Sewing Challenge
  • 2-in-1 Sewing Challenge
  • Garment Sewing Challenge
  • Solids-Only Tote Challenge
  • Naughty Notions Challenge
  • Typography Challenge



  • Be sure to scroll through and answer all the questions:


    Visit Sew Nicely!

    Visit Raspberry Sunshine

    Visit pritty tings!

    Visit Passion et Couture!

    Visit The Hobby Harbor!

    Visit Suzie Stitches!

    Visit Play Sculpt Live!

    Visit Desert Designs!

    Visit Skaberlyst!

    Visit Celtic Thistle Stitches!

    Visit I See Spotz!

    Visit My Grandma Sews!

    Visit Threading My Way!



    Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,
    Pin It
    Before you click away, I'd like to invite you to join in my current sewing/craft challenge.  

    6 comments:

    1. it's funny how the machine has a button hole foot & even makes the button hole for you yet I've never made a button hole lol!I've just discovered through a blogger that you can quilt on a quilt using a darning foot, so many feet so many decsions lol!this is an interesting challenge for sure!
      Helen

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh, boy, I'm up for this one for sure! I have a foot attachment sitting here on my sewing table that was a rather expensive indulgence many many months ago that I must learn how to use and now I will! Thanks for coming up with this idea!

      Linda

      ReplyDelete
    3. Count me in, Rikka. I have a box full of unused fancy feet...

      ReplyDelete
    4. Off to check my sewing machine manual to see what feet I have!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I had to think about this one. I do have a teflon foot that I bought and never really used. If this a fancy foot then I'm in.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi Rikka!!!! Here I am again to participate in this challenge! I waited until the last minute to enroll because I wanted to be sure to finish my project on time. The project is finished and I've uploaded to my blog a table runner that I did in order to participate. The foot that I decided to pull out of my box, was the pintuck foot, I love using it. Thanks for hosting this challenge, I'm going to visit the other participants.....have a nice day!
      Marisa from
      http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...