Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Tudor Rose Purse...

Way back in October 2010, I was digging through Burdastyle  looking for some good (free) purse patterns when I came across the Tudor Rose purse.  You can find the exact project that caught my eye here.  I was sold.  I HAD to sew this purse!  The burdastyle project said the pattern came from savvyseams.com.  Well, there was no such website when I searched for it and still is none as I am writing this post.  After some more digging and learning about web archives, I was able to find this.  That link will take you to a pdf file with the pattern pieces.  Instructions?  Well, some more digging and I found what was left of the old site in a web archive, but many pics were gone.  I was going to put a link to that site here, but my 'puter freaked out and said it was a malicious site full of evil spirits or something like that... 

So, after all that, I am sorry I can't give you the real origin of the pattern, only a pdf of pattern pieces without directions.  Bummer, eh?  Just remember, I didn't create the pattern, and I certainly don't want to take credit for it.  I'm new to the blogging world, but have already seen my fair share of blatant disregard for crediting sources, and it totally irks me.  So, OK now, I'm done ranting!   

Let's get back to this honey of a purse!  The Tudor Rose symbol is of great historical importance in England.  Want to learn more?  The wikipedia entry for the Tudor Rose can be found here.  If you look real close at your list of followers, you'll see my blogger graphic is a Tudor Rose.  Cheese and crackers!  I keep getting side-tracked.  To those of you who are still with me and my rambling: hang in there I can't last much longer! 

Please scroll down and check out the pics of the Tudor Rose Purses I've sewn.  Please excuse the quality of some of my pics.  Way back when I was taking them, Ricochet and Away didn't exist.  As you look, please keep in mind the "flower" part is all savvyseams.com and the functional parts (i.e. straps and bag) are of my own design.  I'd love to tackle a remake of this pattern, but we'll see...





Man oh man, those Canadians sure know how to smock, eh?



The original pattern calls for a flower on each side of the purse.  Yes, you read that right.  2 flowers.  Nope, not something I wanted to tackle.  There are 5 big petals and leaves and 5 small petals and leaves.  Each leaf and petal is like a little pillow, consisting of 2 pieces of fabric sandwiched around a piece of batting, and then top-stitched.  By the time I finished one complete flower, I was over it! 







Thanks for checking out this post today!  As I mentioned before, I hope to someday make my own "tribute" tutorial to this sweet pattern.  Let me know if you'd be interested.  I know with a little more digging, I might be able to contact the original designer.  Wouldn't that be cool?  I think so.  I've spent more time with this pattern than any of Amy Butler's.  Chatting with Miss SavvySeams would be pretty neat-o! 
As always, thanks so much for reading and following Ricochet and Away!
I love your comments!
Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,

7 comments:

  1. So gorgeous and unique!!! Do you sell them on etsy? You should!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PJ!
    No, I don't have an etsy store. I do most of my business through fb and paypal. That way I can keep the prices of my bags down under $50. Maybe someday, when I've exhausted my client pool on fb...
    Nice to see you've visited again! Love having you come over!
    Best,
    Rikka J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing pattern! What wonderful detail! Thank you so much for visiting my blog today! I am your newest follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE these! The flowers look amazing! I'm following :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful purses!! I agree you should get set up on etsy!!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all so pretty! I especially love the corduroy purse. You are just so talented!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...